| Thursday, January 26, 2006
|i was scrambling through my old emails and found this piece of gem. guess many of us would have received this and read thru it before, but i'll put it here so that i can read thru it as many times as i like. Becos each time you read it, it might bring back a different memory =)
School-life during our time….
1. You grew up watching He-man, MASK,Transformers, Silver hawk and Mickey Mouse. Not to forget, Ninja turtles, My Little Pony and Smurfs too. (for the younger ppl, can add power ranger also lar.)
2. You grew up brushing your teeth with a mug in Primary school during recess time. You will squat by a drain with all your classmates beside you, and brush your teeth with a coloured mug.The teachers said you must brush each side 10 times too. (they had this dentist in my primary school!! and each time i had to visit her, it was like nightmare!!! she'll scold you for everything you have not done. and look so fierce while u wince in pain on the operating chair..i hate dentist)
3. You know what SBC stands for. (singapore broadcasting coporation!! wahahah.. last time where got scv? last time where got so many channel let you watch? chn 5 and chn 8. and m'sian channels. somemore start very late and end very early one. like only broadcast for 3pm start i think. what time end i not sure. young that time must sleep before 10 if not daddy will scold.)
4. You pay 40 cents for Chocolate or Strawberry MILK every week in class.
5. You watch a very popular Malay dubbed Japanese drama on RTM1 about schoolgirls who possess powerful skills in volleyball called Meoro Attack. (got atsi mat yoyo also! saturday evenings i think.)
6. You find your friends with pagers and handphone cool in Secondary school. (that means last time i also cool. haha!)
7. SBS buses used to be non-airconditioned. The bus seats are made of wood and the cushion is red. The big red bell gives a loud BEEEP! when pressed. There are colourful tickets forTIBS buses.The conductor will check for tickets by using a machine which punches a hole in the ticket.
8. Envelopes given to us to donate to Sharity Elephant every Children's Day
9. You've probably read Young Generation magazine.You know who's Vinny the little vampire and Acai the constable.
10. You were there when they first introduced MRT here. You went for the first ride with your parents and you would kneel on the seat to see the scenery. (i was 3yrs old when the mrt started operation. but no recollection of my first ever ride. =( sad )
11. Movie tickets used to cost only $3.50. (now is triple the price. only 20 yrs and triple the price! next time when i 60yrs old how?! $90 meh!!)
12. Gals are fascinated by Strawberry Short Cake and Barbie Dolls. (boys love figurines. ninja turtles, he-man whatever is cool he likes.)
13. You learn to laugh like The Count in Sesame Street. (today's programe have been brought to you by the number 2 and bla bla bla..)
14. You longed to buy tibits called Kaka(20 cents per pack),and Ding Dang(50 cents per box), that had a toy in it and it changes every week not forgetting the 15 cents animal crackers and the ring pop, where the lollipop is the diamond on the ring.
15. You watched TV2 (also known as Channel 10) cartoons because Channel 5 never had enough cartoons for you.
16. Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, Famous Five and Secret Seven are probably the thickest story books you ever thought you have read. Even Sweet Valley High and Malory Towers.
17. KFC used to be a high class restaurant that serve food in plates and let you use metal forks and knives. (this i remember! trips to KFCs were like me going down to some 5star hotel restuarant to eat now)
18. The most vulgar thing you said was asshole and idiot and THE MOST EXTREME WAS 'super white'...you just couldn't bring yourself to say the hokkien relative.
19. Catching was the IN thing and twist as the magic word.
20. Your English workbooks were made of some really poor quality paper that was smooth and yellow. (english workbooks were all worksheets we have to tear out. and the filing part is something i hated the most. worksheets would be everywhere and damn disorganised. whenever the teacher says she wants to check your file, SURE PANIC!! go everywhere go find all the worksheets.)
21. CDIS were your bestfriend.
22. The only computer lessons in school involved funny pixellised characters in 16 colours walking about trying to teach you maths.
23. Waterbottles were slinged around your neck and a must everywhere you go.
24. Boys loved to play soccer with small plastic balls in the basketball court. (soccer was the bread and butter in my primary school)
25. Teng-teng, batu lesung, chapteh, hentam bola and zero point were all the rage with the girls and boys too... (i was the pepsi cola 1 2 3 champion..)
26. Science was fun with the balsam and the angsana being the most important plants of our lives, guppies and swordtail being the most important fish.
27. Who can forget Ahmad, Bala, Sumei and John, eternalized in our minds from the textbooks. Even Mr Wally & Mr. Yakki. What abt Miss Lala??? And Zaki and Tini in Malay Textbooks? (PETS Course book.... quite a useless textbook i gotta say. we always depended on all these outside textbook. smaller ones but thicker. got orange and green. Cambridge or Oxford i forgot)
28. We carry out experiments of our own to get ourself badges for being a Young Zoologist/Botanist etc. (hated this, always must choose those damn easy experiment to try and accumulate more points.)
29. Every children's day and national day you either get pins or penswith 'HappyChildren's Day 1993' or dumbfiles with Happy National Day1994'. (i think i threw them all away)
30. In Primary six you had to play buddy for the younger kids like big sister and brother.
31. We wear BM2000, BATA, or Pallas shoes. (and every sunday night i had to apply the stupid liquid paper like thing onto the shoe, which becomes powdery when dry. such a chore and it strikes you hard that the next day is monday sad)
32. Your form teacher taught you maths,science and english. (damn powerful they all. very versatile.)
33. The worksheets were made of brown rough paper of poor quality. (machiam toilet paper)
34. You went to school in slippers and a raincoat when it rained, and you find a dry spot in the school to sit down, dry your feet, and wear your dry and warm socks and shoes.
35. School dismissal time was normally around 1 pm. (damn shoik lor! it's almost like working half-day for everyday of the year. which means, a half-year year!!)
36. There would be spelling tests and mental sums to do almost everyday. (i was quite a dilligent spelling learner i'm proud to say)
37. Your friends considered you lucky and rich if your parents gave you $3 or more for pocket money everyday.
38. You see Wee Kim Wee's face in the school hall.
39. You freak out when the teacher tells you to line up according to height and hold hands with the corresponding boy or girl. (no girls leh my school, but its weird how we never freak out if hold hands with guys. imagine doing that now?)
40. Boys like to catch fighting spiders. (my classmate caught this huge f**king praying mantis, and used a scissor and cut it's head off in front of me. omg)
41. Collecting and battling erasers was a pastime for boys (oooooooooohhhhhh, i had a whole box of them!! save money for dunno how long to buy!!! i had a battle eraser which won much honours for me, now dunno all throw go where.)
42. Autograph books were loaded with "Best Wishes", "Forget Me Not", and small poems like "Bird fly high, hard to catch.Friend like you, hard to forget".
43. Class monitors and prefects loved to say "You talk somemore, I write your name ah!" (me included!! haahahha)
44. There were at least 40 people in one class. (my p6 class had 45)
45. Large, colourful schoolbags were carried. (weird that i have no idea what kinda bag i carried back then...)
46. You brought every single book to school, even though there was one thing called the timetable.
** But most importantly, we were really HAPPY children… hehe
|posted by bobby @ 10:59 AM